Friday, July 29, 2011

I Don't Smell Like Whipped Cream

Max, I'm glad you had a good time on your secret mission! Ball State is a fun place to have secret missions; I have experience with that.

I can't go to band camp and not blog about what happened -- it has to be my theme this week. So I'm going to tell you what we did . . . today!

For the first hour, we marched and played our opener, "It Had Better Be Tonight" (and I think I posted the video for that a few days ago). Monday through Thursday was basically nothing but marching, so it was nice to just have an hour of marching and playing and the rest . . . inside. I like inside.

Then, sectionals! Since I'm a drum major, I never have a set schedule for sectional time, and I just do what needs to be done. Today, what needed to be done was intruding upon the clarinet sectional. What made it even better was that last year's graduates came at this tiiime! Abby, Christian, Joey . . . yes.

After we played through our show with full band, it was time for skits. Naturally, I was in the saxophone/horn skit, as I'm an oboe-playing drum major. So our skit was good, but the memorable thing for me was getting whipped cream all over me during the flute skit. Bahh. I don't like getting things all over me.


So I got whipped cream all over me, and I went in the bathroom and washed it all off and I was kind of wet for an hour. Remember this part. Remember it.

Then, we played the name game where the seniors guess the freshmen's names and vice versa. Guess which senior totally won the name game? I only missed one middle name.

The prayer service went well. I shared two of my favorite aphorisms: "Those who achieve all their aims probably set them too low" and "Don't be a douche bag."

Let's skip ahead to the band picnic. Remember when I got whipped cream all over me against my will? Think the same thing except replace it with shaving cream -- ten times more than the last time. Then I got wet again.


And now I'm wearing dry clothes, and it's great!

Also, I don't smell like whipped cream anymore. I smell like shaving cream. Imagery?

1 comment:

  1. Hey! You said my name. I feel famous sometimes when that happens.

    ReplyDelete