Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bryan's Favorite Integer

Don't worry, Max. I have a poll idea for next week that's not about Harry Potter. Your poll is a good idea for this week, but I'm disappointed that you included all of my suggestions except for "top ten numbers."

If anybody is unfamiliar with how much I love numbers . . . hold on.

I have a lot of favorite numbers -- natural, irrational, imaginary -- but if somebody were to ask me what my favorite integer was, there would be one clear answer: 147. Why? There are a lot of reasons, and I can't list all of them, but here's a handful:
  • There are three digits, and that's always been one of my favorite numbers.
  • The difference between any two consecutive digits is three.
  • It's the product of three and a perfect square (forty-nine, which is the square of seven, a number that most people recognize as very magical).
  • If one were to split the number in two (into fourteen and seven), the two parts would both be divisible by seven.
  • The number has seven syllables when said aloud.
  • Overall, it's not too high and not too low. It's just a friendly looking number. The only time I wouldn't like the number 147 would be if somebody gave me 147 pennies. Max, I hate pennies.
It's almost Independence Day! I feel like I should do something patriotic. I spent about fifteen minutes reharmonizing "America the Beautiful" this morning. It wasn't jazzy, or anything, but I think I improved upon it. Am I allowed to say that?

Maybe it's time for me to memorize this video:

2 comments:

  1. Today, I found an old wallet with a whole bunch of coins in it, and I put them in a piggy bank I found under some stuff. Some of them were pennies =|. Cleaning is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's sad is I think I've heard you give that same explanation for 147 three times now...

    ReplyDelete