Thursday, August 18, 2011

Movies People Like

Max, your idea is such a rational one that I'm pretty sure those kinds of restaurants already exist! I know I've been to multistory McDonald's restaurants in Miami and London. We just don't have the sense to do it in Indianapolis, or something.

Today, I watched Billy Madison, and my life makes just a little bit more sense now. First, we've got this guy:


I don't know what his real name is, but he's Josh Lyman on The West Wing (a thing I like). So while I realize that he's the antagonist in Billy Madison, I just kept thinking about how eloquent, witty, progressive, and awesome he is on The West Wing, and I just really wanted him to win during the movie.

Also, now I know what it means when people shout things like "Knibb High football rules!" or when they say "This does not make the ribosomes happy." And when Goyle in AVPM says, "Oh, Goyle rules!"

I mean, it's not a great movie, but it's a great movie. That's kind of my point in this post.

I like to think that all of my favorite movies are genuinely good movies, but that's really not true. I can look at my Facebook page and tell you that something like Mr. Holland's Opus is kind of a mediocre movie. A lot of the time, it's the context of a movie, a single character or quote in a movie, or a song in the soundtrack make it something we really like.

Of course, that's not true of all movies that people like -- The King's Speech, for instance, is a movie most people agree is beautifully and uniquely pieced together. What makes it a good movie for me, though, is the dry humor and the ecumenical theme of overcoming obstacles. It's a personal thing, which is what it all comes down to. Preposition.

Ramble ramble ramble. I like when John and Hank are together:

1 comment: