Friday, August 12, 2011

A Few Poems of Mine

Today is Friday, which is an important day to a lot of people at Roncalli. It's not only the last weekday before school starts, but it's also the day a lot of summer homework is due. I like to imagine that right now, there are a couple hundred kids sitting in front of their computers across the south side of Indianapolis and frantically turning pages of novels and textbooks, blogging, journaling, outlining, and writing essays.

I only have one thing left to do before tonight's deadline -- my last German blog -- and I've already planned it all out, so I'm giving myself a little break right now. Also, I'm pretty sure I just opened a lot of doors for Max to brag about how he's been finished for a few days, now. Oops.

Max, I'm glad you brought up the topic of poetry. It's a beautiful way we can peer into the soul of mankind. Your poems were wonderful (but not particularly flattering). Last year, for instance, I explored the heart of an old man complaining about the kids on his lawn in a terzanelle I wrote in English class. But I'm not going to share that poem -- it's extremely emotionally draining to read. Instead, I'm going to tell you the story of how I became interested in poetry.

During my freshmen year at Roncalli, after a band concert, Rebecca Flanigan sent me this note:

Trumpets are brass,
Clarinets are wood;
That oboe solo
Sure was good!

And I was very flattered and wanted to write a poem back to her, so I did:

Percussion is loud,
My favorite color is ochre;
Your clarinet playing
Was also good.

Before I compose a few poems for Max, I'm going to share a snippet of a poem I wrote last year in German class. If you were in my fourth period class, you know that this eventually turned into a song:

Wir haben manchmal Feten,
Aber zuerst müssen wir beten,
Und wir trinken . . . nie Bier.

Wir studieren -- nein! -- wir lernen,
Wir griefen nach den Sternen;
Meine Lieblingsklasse ist Stunde Vier!1

Now, since Max composed some lovely poems for me, I'm going to return the favor. I'll start with an acrostic, and then I'll move to my specialty, the limerick:

MAX BROWNING

Mirthful
Adamant
Xenophobic

Beige
Rectangular
Ovate
Witty
Nerdy
Inventive
Nervy
Good

There once was a mortal named Max,
Refusing to pay income tax.
He felt like a lout,
When Obama found out,
And Max paid his tax with the axe.

That was more gruesome than I originally intended.

Until Sunday, Max,
Never let me go in your pants.

1Sometimes, we have parties, but first we have to pray, and we never drink beer. We study (college) -- no! -- we study (high school), we reach for the stars; my favorite class is period four!

1 comment:

  1. At first, I thought that said "nerdy" twice. I like it both ways.

    ReplyDelete