Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'm Sorry, We Don't Serve That Here

This post comes to you today in four parts!

Part One: So, Funny Story

Yesterday, my very thirsty family drove through a McDonald's to get drinks, and I asked my sister to order me a root beer. Here's how the conversation went:
"Hi! Can I get three large drinks: one sweet tea, one Coke, and one root beer?"
"I'm sorry, we don't serve root beer here -- but we have Dr. Pepper!"
They don't have root beer, but they have Dr. Pepper.

Dr. Pepper is not a substitute for root beer. Dr. Pepper is caffeinated and doesn't taste very good with vanilla ice cream. She might as well have said, "I'm sorry, we don't serve root beer here -- but we have bacon strips!"


I mean, the situation here isn't unlike any of the following:
"I'm sorry, we don't have hot chocolate -- but we have sweet and sour chicken!"
"I'm sorry, we don't have toilet paper -- but we have Fruit by the Foot!"
"I'm sorry, we don't have Looking for Alaska by John Green -- but we have the head of John the Baptist on a platter!"
Does anyone else want to try?

Part Two: Max's Proposals

Since the two of us are the ones blogging every day, I think we need to come to consensuses1 on amendments to our rules before anything is altered, similarly to when we first wrote the rules.

For example, I'm not necessarily opposed to your anti-autoposting idea, but I also don't necessarily see its essentiality. I utilized it twice this week because of my secret mission2, and I'll also need it during the Music for All jazz camp the week after next and during the second senior retreat. I feel that it's unlikely that we're going to exploit this feature.

And for another example, I don't . . . want you to edit my posts. I promise that you will have plenty of opportunities to punish me in a non-editing-my-post sort of way when I lose challenges or when I accidentally like your Facebook status.

Part Three: Apples

We seem to be doing a good job of keeping our polls evenly divided. The first time I checked, more people thought that I had more apples, but now you're in the lead. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

As for the solution to my question on Tuesday, Max's answer was the most correct. Matthew's answer was also right, but I agree with the other Bryan that he basically asked two questions. Abby's answer wins, however, because it was the most entertaining.

Part Four: Question Mondays

I think I'm going to make my Mondays question days occasionally, and Max, you are free to make your Mondays question days occasionally, as well.

Anybody can send me questions by commenting on this post or (if I'm your Facebook friend and you want a private feel) by sending me a Facebook message. I'll answer as many questions as I can next Monday.

1While it doesn't seem right, this is the plural form of consensus. I had to look it up.
2Which I will tell you about on Saturday.

6 comments:

  1. I am glad that no one was home to witness my triumphant reaction to part three.

    I'm sorry, we don't have Harry Potter--but we have The Tale of Peter Rabbit!

    #looseconnections

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Abby, we don't serve toenails here -- but we have Gumby action figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, we don't have first aid kits--but we have wasabi sauce!

    I'm sorry, we don't have cheesecake--but we have Judas chairs! (if you don't know what those are, look it up--on second thought, don't; it's a painful thought)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What McDonald's doesn't have root beer? The one I work at does! Just come and visit me so I don't get lonely. :) Sorry all my comments sound unintelligible. I just had a milkshake. (What?) ((Yes, I question myself.))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, Bryan I really agree with your soda statement.

    (this is Alex Bauman's not mine)
    We don't have condoms-but we have scissors!

    We don't have a bathroom- but we have embarassing family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Root beer? Root beer?!? ugh...root beer is what you drink when they're out of mountain dew, grapedrink, and...water!

    I said that once at a movie theater to Isaac Ortiz. It was really hilarious.

    Also, I'm so proud that I got a shoutout in this post. I feel as though The Other Bryan should be my official name on this blog, so as to avoid confusion.

    Also, I'm sorry, we don't have chapstick, but we DO have beef jerky!

    ReplyDelete