Sunday, June 12, 2011

Fireflies - Owl City

Blog News
Bryan, I am glad to know that your secret mission was not completely useless.  Since I know nothing about Harry Potter or its apparent theme park thing, I will just nod my head and agree.  However, this does make for an interesting question for you.
Also, I thought you should know that because of Summer Field Studies, Jacob and Ben will be taking a two week hiatus from their positions of punishment people, while Erin and Frank Joseph Karl Gabriel Miccuci IV (I finally got the full name right!) will be stepping in for the time being.
What is a “Muggle,” because that is definitely what I voted, but I have a feeling it means like… hobo?  Okay, and also, tell me who the rest of them are, too, because I kind of want to know!
Talking to myself – Is it bad I had to check to see if “while” was a verb kicker?
Summer Field Studies
Seeing that I made a gushy goodbye letter for the people studying abroad, I assumed the Summer Field Studies people would enjoy the same!  Here it goes.
You all have a two-week period in front of you with limited showers and luxuries.  Let it humble you as you rough it in the wild.  Reflect on the things you have back home and see life from the perspective of someone who has very little.
Warning: Religious paragraph
God gave us everything.  May you see the true power of God’s work.  See that mountain in front of you?  Yes, God made that so that the animals who like cold would get to live in peace.  See that tree?  Remember your coffee table at home?  Yes, your coffee table cut down one of those.  See that squirrel?  Squirrel!
There should be a nice array of personalities in the wilderness.  Being with one person for two weeks would drive anyone insane, but that is no worries because, last I heard, there will be over a hundred people there with unique gifts and personalities.
Yes, you do stink.  Everyone will smell.  Quit complaining about having no showers and your stay in the tents will be much more enjoyable.  Oh, and do not try to look all cute in your hiking pants and winter coats as you hike through the mountains.  You will not look good – just saying.  Okay, spell check tells me to hyphenate “all cute,” and then when I do it tells me that it should not be hyphenated.
No, a bear will not eat you.  Quit joking about how you will die out in the wilderness.  However, if you see a snake, then run.  Also, do not tell me about the experience of seeing said snake.  I do not like snakes, they actually scare me to death.
Finally, when you finally reach your destination, you should celebrate the accomplishment with everyone, but not only that.  Do not forget also to turn around (I had that as a split infinitive at first).  See all the obstacles you had to overcome and how every step led to a greater good.
Relate this experience to your life.  When you climbed the mountain and turned around, did you take the short cuts – use the lift – or did you use others to get you want you want?  Did you trudge through the obstacles when the path was obstructed?  When you get to the hypothetical “peak” of your hypothetical “mountain,” what will you see when you turn around?
And with this – Bryan – until tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. kudos to you on getting my full name right! :D haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a nightmare about a snake a few days ago. It was okay, though, 'cause my aunt tied it in a knot and tore it in half. Whew. =]....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Smackers, I can tell you that basically they put all the good guys in Gryffindor and all the bad guys and Slytherin and everyone else can do whatever the hell they want (although Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders). Does that clear anything up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max I thought your letter was really good, and how do you not know anything from HP? I believe you've just lost some of your apples

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen any of the movies. What's a Harry Potter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A person particularly skilled at crafting ceramics who also has a problem with out-of-control hair growth. Zing!

    More importantly, a snake almost killed me once, but I shouted "Taste my steel, dog!" and crushed it underfoot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Max, this is a very good and uplifting letter for the SFS people. I only wish I had read it last year when I went. All the unique and personality filled people are truly amazing and were my favite part of the trip. The part about looking back to see what you have accomplished is also great advice. SFS is an amazing experience for all, but you only get out of it what you are willing to put in.

    ReplyDelete