Saturday, May 28, 2011

And So It Begins

Hi, Max.  Last night, I sent you this histrionic message via Facebook: “I just thought you should know that this is the last wall post you will ever receive from high-school Bryan. Two Planes in the Asymptote commences tomorrow!” The rules within our first blog post are officially in effect, so please take a moment to review them.

To kick things off, I have two proposals. First, I propose that colloquially, we replace “Two Planes in the Asymptote” with the initialism “TPA.” Although it already stands for things like “trees per acre” and “terephthalic acid,” I think it could catch on.


My second proposal is that within this first week of posting, we introduce each other to our audience. I think that would be an interesting experiment for a couple of reasons. We’ll learn what we know and don’t know about each other, and we can fill in the gorges – I mean, gaps. Also, this would help diminish our egos a tiny bit, which we both probably need. What do you think?

One last order of business. While I will be spending the summer inside playing music, reading, and embracing technology, Jacob -- my punishment veto buddy -- will be outside among the itchy plants and hungry bears of Montana. (Good luck, Jacob!) When Jacob is doing Summer Field Studies for a couple of weeks, my sister, Erin, will be stepping in for him. I’m not really sure when that will be, so somebody should probably tell me. June . . . thhhh . . . I’m just not going to guess.

This morning, as I endured several rounds of “Pomp and Circumstance” with the senior-less Roncalli band, the class of 2011 and their teachers took their freaking time processing to their seats for graduation in the football stadium underneath a gracious layer of clouds. All in all, the ceremony was a positive experience. After a beautiful rendition of “Pie Jesu,” a pair of eloquent speeches, and the distribution of diplomas, the class of 2011 changed their tassels. Congratulations to Roncalli’s latest graduates!

Max, as the class of 2011 celebrated their transition to adulthood, I miiiight have shifted my train of thought to the class of 2012 -- yes, I definitely did. The band at graduation was no longer senior-less but was freshmen-less. In about two and a half months, we will return to school as seniors. I actually have one final proposal in this blog post -- that as seniors, rather than taking the easy route of glorifying ourselves, we focus instead on being welcoming leaders and role models at Roncalli. Maybe I’ll devote a future post to this topic.

I look forward to your post tomorrow.

Oh, one more thing! I will be taking the liberty of proclaiming the results of our very first poll on TPA. Our followers’ favorite vowels are widespread, but “Y” seems to be the clear winner with 43 percent of the vote. Nobody voted for “I,” which I suppose is good indication that our followers aren’t self centered.  So that's good.

3 comments:

  1. In my world, tPA (with an intentional lowercase t) stands for tissue plasminogen activator.

    I voted for E, natch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am most aggrieved by this poll result. Also, I thought you had already given up on your blog because I kept hitting refresh on the page for the first post, and... yes. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I found out about this blog rather late, but honestly, I think this is a wonderful idea, and I am soooo excited to (hopefully) stay in touch with the Roncalli world through this! You kids better keep it up because I'm going to read every last one of those until it ends. But... to return to this blog post, I am really excited about your hopes for the class of 2012's actions toward the rest of the student body, and I really think that it should be a priority to take on that attitude.

    ReplyDelete